Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Switch

The transition to the new system is knocking on the door.

A brief overview of what you can expect, how we will switch the system and some other information about obvious changes.

The new software is already in-place and just needs to be configured.

The Upgrade Procedure

• Accounts / Citizenship
    • All monthly recurring payments for citizenship are cancelled.
    • Web pages related to billing are taken down, and/or replaced.
    • Citizen renewal system will be disabled.
    • The Credit Purchase Apps will go live.
    • FREE - All accounts will be set to never expire.
    • FREE - Free Immigration will be enabled, Tourists disabled.
    • Active long-time citizens will receive an additional bonus later this month.

Ensure the email address provided with an account is recent and valid, not to loose your account in the future.
  • New Accounts and Reactivated Accounts
    • FREE - One account can be created with a single email address.
    • Accounts no longer come with free bots.
    • Changing the display name will be charged.
    • Changing the email address later requires email re-validation, no charge.
  • Worlds
    • FREE - Worlds smaller than than P-10 will be upgraded to P-10.
    • FREE - All worlds, expect P-10 worlds, will be set to a minimum of 50 simultaneous users.
    • FREE - Privately hosted worlds, expect P-10 worlds, will have Voice Chat enabled - ask your service host if he is can provide the additional bandwidth.
    • Worlds hosted by Activeworlds,Inc bigger than P-10 will come with Voice Chat - included in the hosting fee, no additional charge.

The new set of Custom Avatars, in courtesy of Stacee

• The new set of CAV will entirely replace the previous, widely disliked, CAV set.
  • Previous presets will not work any longer.
  • Starters will get a more rich choice of CAV items.
  • Better, smoother geometry and more defined skeleton, enable cool new animation sequences.
  • Two types, two genders and 3 ages of your choice.
  • Thousands of additional items available in the shop.

The Switch is to be expected within the scheduled time frame, no later than June 15, 2013.

Further changes may be applied after The Switch.
Sounds pretty cool. Maybe we can get returning cits back and some new cits too. This should breathe new life into a dying community. Hmmm I wonder what the surprise is? I been here since Feb. 1998, 15 years!
I find it interesting that bots will no longer be included. Do you have a plan in place to allow for purchasing more and will it affect current accounts?

To receive the unspecified bonuses, did citizenships need to remain active or is that not a factor?
The bonus could be a status symbol, like a cape or something. smiling smiley It says "Hey I've been here when I was paying for the program."
Whoa !!! Hold Up !!!

Am I reading correctly, that I will have to PAY to use my Xelagot in AW ???

Seriously ???
Bukka
Whoa !!! Hold Up !!!

Seriously ???

Since we were paying $6.95 a month or $69.95 a year for that privilege before, I'd say anything less is a savings.
It was free when I started using my Xelagots, why can't it be now?
Bukka

But that was also over 12 years ago. Lets just wait and see how this settles out.
I truly dont think the prices will be unreasonable. In the end, I feel those that have paid the citizenship fee for these last 12 years will see a savings no matter what they do.
Bach Zhaa
Bukka
But that was also over 12 years ago.

The point is... bots have always been free to use.

Bach Zhaa
Lets just wait and see how this settles out.

I truly dont think the prices will be unreasonable.

Any price charged to use bots in AW public worlds would be unreasonable. just my opinion

Bach Zhaa
In the end, I feel those that have paid the citizenship fee for these last 12 years will see a savings no matter what they do.

Of course they will and rightfully so. The bot issue is irrelevant to those savings altogether.
I hope this can get more people to join Activeworlds.

Also will the old selectable avatars still be here? I love to roam worlds as birde.
Bukka
Whoa !!! Hold Up !!!

Seriously ???

lets wait and see what happens eh. like I tried to explain some one here a long time cit. For me personally and I can and only speaking of me. it is like this. you walk up a window of a restaurant, and you look at the menu and see there are 12 things you do not like on it the menu. but there are 55 others with you who want to dine, and they like liver and onions you do not like them at all. but you see
steak and you like steak. so you go in and you give your all. and you hope that others will like their dinner as well,. and you enjoy your time threre because the bottom line is the 544 your with does I personally do not Iike the idea of paying for a bot in a world aw sponsored world or a private one period and back then I did I did not like the idea that world owners had to pay for tourist access and I won't silent protest and I do not use voice in my worlds and I do not use Face book and I won't . and I stay clear of Second lie or second life.

not my style.
I am also not a fan of the aw reunion world being the entrance to active worlds. it is far better looking now then it has ever looked before thanks to Roy Curtis who was the sole master mind to this project if it had not been for HIM it probably would have never gotten off the ground so I thank him ever so much for his hard work his dedication and spirit his ideas his vision his talents are much appreciated. Nurse Mon
and Roy work well together and they made it come to life and it is far better now then it has ever been before

he took the words from others to heart and listened to them heart and kindness respect and at no time did he take them personal or mean spirited or one being anti aw he is a true Aw man that said he would make it better and he did.

The same could apply to the bots we will have to wait and see if it helps aw then I am all for it, or to make it simple the doctor says you need a shot in the behind to get rid of the infection you k now it will hurt but you will be healthy so you do it you take the shot.
And wait and see

I have been around Aw since 98 and I go back and I can remember well back then all I wanted to do was rotate a fence piece look where we are now and what we an do smiles Aw is our community and I am proud of her. sure there are things I wish I could change and we can do it is like the restaurant with the liver and onions you find the t bone steak and you make it your own.

keep it real one added note; to make it stick some more when you see some one struggling for his last ounce of breath and you hope you can and pray with all your heart and soul to have 5 hrs more of him in your life a bot right in Aw is not so important. his life is.
this happened to Me in real life the person is alive and well and is breathing. You saved a life.

keep it real.
Your post is almost impossible to follow due to the lack of this: "."

Seriously. I read your post three times and understood a good 15% of it.
Bukka
Whoa !!! Hold Up !!!

Seriously ???

Hi All,
Forgive the dumb question, but is this why I can't log any of my bots in anymore? (Receive a Reason Code 402 Timeout error)
Ironbeard

Hi All,
Forgive the dumb question, but is this why I can't log any of my bots in anymore? (Receive a Reason Code 402 Timeout error)

FYI, Have sorted this thanks to Chris' assistance. Turns out the SDK included with the bots were too old. Have updated the SDK and they can now log in.
chris

1. can you please explain this lets get to the chase will a cit of aw have to pay for a bot in any world private or pubic world like America yellow aw teen yes or no? ANY AND ALL USEAGE OF THE BOT yes or no?

will a world owner have to pay for a bot usage of a bot yes or no?

3. what will the cost be how many credits will it cost the world owner or the cit? break it down please per credit
please

break it down please x number of credit 1 bot 2 bot x number of bot etc

IMHO if a cit has to spend a single credit or buy a credit to use a bot in the above this is a bad idea you are hurting the people you are tyrng to help and attract bot help the world owners period

greeters terrain makers eject people who are bent on doing harm and the worold owner feels is un fit to be in Aw.can and does and some times do harm to the world is flat out a bd cit

]
please explain
keep it real
Am I one of the few that actually paid for extra bots? Many years ago I increased my bot count from from 3 to 9, meaning I purchased 6 additonal bot rights for my cit. Will those be credited fo me to use still or is bot usage a yearly fee now?
People .... enough with the knee jerk reactions.

Bots weren't free. Paying for a Cit included a number of features, & one of the features was using bots, (3 bots?).
Now you will get an AW account Free,
and there are likely some things that become charged per item versus the flat rate $6.95 per month we have been Paying.

When AW makes the change-over, they will then announce what the changes are.
Wait & find out!
Stop whining about stuff that hasn't happened and isn't yet defined.

-Gremot

well said Gremot
Gremot
Since when did asking valid questions become "knee jerk reactions"?

Gremot
Bots weren't free. Paying for a Cit included a number of features, & one of the features was using bots, (3 bots?).
Bots were free and so were citizenships, when I joined AW. The Xelagot allows for 3 simutaneous bots running.

Gremot
Wait & find out!
The announcement was the FIRST post in this thread.

Gremot
I'll refrain from addressing this comment, it's not worth it.
Gremot

Now you will get an AW account Free,
and there are likely some things that become charged per item versus the flat rate $6.95 per month we have been Paying.

Wait & find out!

-Gremot

I agree I like him to explain in writing what the costs are. I personally do not think it is fair or just for them to charge for a single bot use age back when I became into aw I did not even know what a bot was nor did I care. I was too busy trying to figure out how to move fly and move a rock and think it would be nice if I could just make a fence move to make a gate.

and the man that taught me all was amazing he had no use age of his arms and no legs he was in a wheel chair 24/7 he taught me how to move the rock by a rod in his mouth , and typed to me that way. I often wonder now what would he think of how far aw has come If he could see. I know one thing he would not :"like" some of the dis respectful" post in the forums or the knee jerk reactions or harsh words. He was a man that respected people and made darn sure otters did as well., he had no ego he left it at the door, he came into aw to have fun and to help people who needed help and never would ever take credit for anything he ever did . He gave so much to aw from his heart and his soul and I admired him a lot. he like Roy was and will always be a True Aw man with talent to do the things he could do with what he had left of his life was truly amazing.

Even for me when I catch my self complaining and hoping for more then what we got I stop think now stop it! what would he think and I try and remember with heart you have more then he Ever had you have arms you have legs you can get up and leave and take that walk
you can fix your self a meal he could not

keep it real

s
Hopefully world owners get at least ONE bot instance included with the server purchase. Also, the option to pay to allow people who dont have any instances on their cit to log a bot in your world might also be a good idea.
Congratulations on the switch; it has been a long time coming and it will be interesting to watch the result over the next few days or weeks.

That said however, if I may, I would like to give in my critical input.

Chris
  • Accounts no longer come with free bots.

This is a bad move. As a former bot developer, working with the current outdated SDK was bad enough to try and provide features and tooling to the platform, especially when said platform's client sorely lacked or fell short on providing those features (e.g. a tutorial or global chat).

Please reconsider the charge for bots. I had always thought the bot limit should be removed completely but now it is disappointing to read they will be locked out by pricing. I cannot speak for other developers, but I myself would refuse to develop bots or use them if other users were not able to use them. Besides, if I were a bot developer, how would I be able to test my own bots?

Please remember that the competition have free bots/scripting/tooling support. Second Life has a (third-party) library for bots and a scripting platform, Cloud Party has a scripting platform and Virtual Paradise have free bot support. Charging for bot use makes no sense. There is no cost to the business for allowing free bot use.

Chris
  • Changing the display name will be charged.

I do not think this is a good idea also. Currently, a lot of users have broken/strange names due to the "i" and "L" impersonation issue; when this is eventually fixed in the browser (e.g. by changing the font to Tahoma) they should not be charged for fixing this back. Furthermore, why charge for a feature available in other platforms? (Second Life, chat applications such as Skype)

Understandably, free name changes can (and have) resulted in abuse; I would propose at least allowing three or five free name changes before requiring a charge, or perhaps three free name changes per year.

The rest is great and seem well thought out and, more importantly, up-to-date and inline with current competitors and economy models out there.

Hope this is helpful,
- Roy
I think there should be at least 1 bot slot for everyone, and if someone want more then buy it...
! bot for citizens would be greatsmiling smiley... world owners should have 2 bots free and pay for the rest...
I like it smiling smiley

So when will people pay me to see my worlds? tongue sticking out smiley
I think at least bots should be free to privately owned worlds that are hosted by the owner. BTW I paid for my cit for another year just a couple months before all this change and I paid 6 months early. Sheesh! That's $69.95 down the drain. I think I should be compensated for the 18 months I paid for or at least return my money for the year cit that isn't even due yet that I paid.
Ciena
I think at least bots should be free to privately owned worlds that are hosted by the owner. BTW I paid for my cit for another year just a couple months before all this change and I paid 6 months early. Sheesh! That's $69.95 down the drain. I think I should be compensated for the 18 months I paid for or at least return my money for the year cit that isn't even due yet that I paid.
According to Chris and E N Z O (speaking in world), you will receive credits later this month or next.
Ciena

Hi dear; I agree with you. I think world owners should be given free bots too, but I am waiting t see what they say and they can do. I am sure they are working out all f this. and they do " hear" our words explain. explain. I am reminded of the Lucy Tv shows where he said explain.
you got some explaining to do. It is fun to see all of these people come back into Aw see what is here now we have come along way since 98 when I came on into the aw gate. I am very pleased with Aw and what we have been able to do and can do now.

I think it is a bad idea to charge for a bot but I am also willing to wait and see and keep a positive attitude toward it, I tried to refer to it like the doctors that say to you well you need this shot to make you get over your illness you know it will hurt you know you will not like it not like it but over all you do it as there is more then just the sting of the shot you got friends in Aw you care about

who Is worth then a credit of 2 for a bot smiles one shares a shrimp at Forest Gump walks up hill, set some straight on the facts of life in spades and can model now in wings 3d and discuss it you know any one like that dear.?

keep it real

smileys with beer
hello Chris,
you told us that the geometry of the skeleton is more defined, and will create new animation sequences.
That's right, but what are the improvements and how to animate on aw?
what programs create their animation?

tanks
Would it be reasonable to have the CREDITS displayed on the options>citizen screen? Redundant? Maybe, but credits being displaying on the main window looks weird.
Adept
Would it be reasonable to have the CREDITS displayed on the options>citizen screen? Redundant? Maybe, but credits being displaying on the main window looks weird.
Turn it off... CTRL+F7
Topic closed. We are past that step already.